Update on the mapping progress

I’m well into getting my procedurally generated map looking cartographic.

I mentioned this before, and it might be a bit confusing to visually, so let’s just show once again that a picture is worth a thousand words:

Image

This is still very basic, but it shows the direction I want to go.

What I basically do is just load in my heightmapped tile, loop over a small block of it at a time and get the average height. My “height” is based on the green value of the pixel, where the greener it is, the lower the height. Based on the value, I put down a bitmap with the feature required and loop through the next block of pixels in the tile to find out which bitmap to put there.

The trickiest bit has turned out to be finding the best process to ensure that overlapping features are correctly overlapped without any lines of hills going through hills in front of them. In many cases this is very doable, but it turns out to not be as easy to organise where tiles are next to each other…that overlap still needs to be properly sorted out. And I need a better background colour than pure white πŸ™‚ Oh, and the underlying multi-fractal needs some work…and I’m still trying to get my coastlines to look like how I want them to look…but other than that things look good πŸ™‚

But still, I’m quite happy with what I’ve got here: a cartographic map which tiles and wraps around in real time πŸ™‚

Advertisements
This entry was posted in android, art, programming and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s